News -> HomeHome
Cette page en français

News and observation reports, August 2005:

Some of the UFO observations and ufology news in August 2005 are listed on this page. Please note that these are not studies, but second hand observation reports, although mostly obtained from reliable and well known sources.


On Monday, August 29, 2005, at 12:50 p.m., Carlos R. Pena was at his office building in downtown Santo Domingo, the capital of the Dominican Republic, when he "was able to witness a completely black UFO at a distance between 1,000 and 3,000 meters."

"I say this because the object flew between a low rain cloud and medium-altitude white clouds," Carlos explained, "We know that clouds are usually at an altitude of 1,500 to 2,500 meters."

"The object was travelling from west to east over Santo Domingo, but its shape was hard to describe. I believe it was something that appeared to be vertical - something like the alleged 'flying humanoids' that have been seen over Mexico in recent weeks. I cannot relate it to any other object, whether a balloon, cloud, airplane, etc. on account of its very strange shape."

"Unfortunately, I did not have time for a photograph, as the sighting lasted only 40 seconds, and I did not have a camera at hand. The object was flying in an even, single-row movement, except for one moment when it moved in a soft curve, which I estimate at 5 to 10 degrees" off its original course. (Muchas gracias a Scott Corrales y Carlos R. Pena para estas noticias.)

Thanks to Joseph Trainor, UFO ROUNDUP Volume 10, Number 36, September 7, 2005.


On Saturday, August 27, 2005, at 8:45 p.m., Dennis Speed was outdoors at his home in Lenah Valley, a suburb of Hobart, the capital of Australia's southernmost island state of Tasmania, when he saw a strange formation in the night sky.

"They approached from the north," Dennis reported, "There were six of them. Six orange lights, the size of bright stars below cloud height in a scattered formation, moving slowly across the sky. There was no noise. Suddenly, they scattered about 500 metres apart. A white aura appeared in the sky around them as they moved through the clouds to the south. I estimated that they were at about 5,000 feet. I observed them for a quarter of an hour, travelling, say, 30 kilometers in that time."

Elsewhere in Hobart, up to nine orange UFOs were sighted. Phones were ringing off the hook at Hobart's UFO Investigation Centre. "Spokesman Keith Roberts said he received several calls last night but could not explain the phenomenon, which he did not see." (See the Sunday Tasmanian for August 28, 2005, "Phones ran hot at UFO Centre."

Many thanks to Dennis Speed and UFOroundup for his eyewitness report and the newspaper item.


On Friday, August 26, 2005, eyewitness K.D. spotted two UFOs flying over downtown Toronto, Canada's largest city.

He reported, "I saw two objects, one after the other with coloured lights that beamed illumination every few seconds as though the craft was changing its angle of attack. But they seemed to maintain a continuous height and speed. They were surrounded in a light haze. Their estimated height was over 7,000 feet."

"The entire sighting lasted 2 to 3 minutes till the second craft disappeared from my line of sight flying over my building in the middle of downtown Toronto on Yonge Street. I was on my balcony, which faces south."

"I have always been a sceptic of UFO sightings, but I know for sure that what I saw was two unidentified craft."

Thanks to Joe Trainor, UFO ROUNDUP Volume 10 Number 35, August 31, 2005, for this email form report.


On Friday, August 26, 2005, N. Shawe was outdoors in his hometown of East Dene, Rotherham, South Yorkshire, UK when he spotted a UFO. "It was an oval glowing shape in the sky," Shawe reported, "It was bluish-grey and oval in shape. It moved slowly and deliberately across the sky. This was at about 10 p.m. It moved slowly and erratically. Eventually, we didn't see it any longer at all."

Thanks to Joseph Trainor, UFO ROUNDUP Volume 10, Number 36, September 7, 2005, for his email form report.


On Thursday, August 25, 2005, at 9:15 p.m., M. Little was a passenger in a car driving on motorway M25 at Stapleford Abbots, Essex, UK when he saw unusual lights approaching from the southwest.

"I was being driven around the M25 by a friend when we spotted a group of five to six orange spheres to our right (approximately southwest -- M.L.). They appeared to be flying in a loose, slow formation. I am a pilot, and I feel able to say with some certainty that what I saw in the sky was not an aircraft. It had not the right colour for nighttime navigation lights, was not ground based (it was moving -- M.L.), nor was it flares or balloons."

"As we continued driving, I opened the car's sun roof and continued to observe the object's track to the northeast" as they were "changing their relative positions but remaining in a tight group. I then spotted two further objects to the east where the five or six were first sighted. We lost sight of the objects so we took the exit from the motorway." "The spheres had a deep orange colour, the appearance of a large disc. It was at a low level, under 5,000 meters. They were slow rising, appeared stationary at times and were very difficult to photograph while moving in the car."

Thanks to Joseph Trainor, UFO ROUNDUP Volume 10, Number 36, September 7, 2005.


On Tuesday, August 23, 2005, at 8:45 p.m., Crystal Elam reported, "I had just arrived home" in Danville, Kentucky (population 15,477) "and, being an avid sky watcher, I looked to the west. There were two star-like bright lights, the only ones out since it was still daylight here."

"I went into the house for 30 minutes and came out again as it was turning dark. The two objects were still in the same location. I told my husband they looked like cat's eyes, and he agreed."

"As I watched, one of the objects turned bright orange while the other stayed very bright white. My son came out, and I pointed it out to him and was looking myself as the orange one faded away and was gone. My first thought was that it went through a cloud cover, but the sky was clear."

"A few seconds later, it came back brighter than before and still moving a little to the left, then to the right, and then up. It finally settled behind the same place it had started from. I had the feeling it was searching for something."

"As I watched it, it repeated the fading, coming back and movement for one hour. In the pasture area where this was taking place, I could see a light way off in the trees. Around 10:45 p.m., the orange light just disappeared, as did the one on the ground. The white one disappeared at 10:50 p.m., and I saw neither one again, as I waited outside until 11:32 p.m."

Thanks to Joe Trainor, UFO ROUNDUP Volume 10 Number 35, August 31, 2005, for this email form report.


"On Wednesday and Thursday nights," August 17 and 18, 2005, "both between 9:25 and 10 p.m., Stephanie Jeff of Crownpoint, N.M. reported seeing bright rotating lights appear suddenly in the sky and vanish just as mysterously."

"'It was kind of scary at first,' said Jeff, who has never seen anything like that before. 'They were bright lights, kind of rotating.'"

"The reddish-orange lights first appeared from the west on Wednesday, she said. After about a half hour, they vanished."

"'I reported it to the Air Force,' Jeff said."

"The following night (Thursday, August 18, 2005), she said, there were more planes than usual flying overhead. But about 9:30 p.m., the strange lights again emerged from the western sky. When a plane came too close, Jeff said, the lights went out and never returned."

"To make sure she wasn't hallucinating, Jeff said she called her brother, Tony, in Dalton Pass and asked him to look outside."

"'He said he saw two lights flying about,' Jeff said.

"Crownpoint Police Capt. Steve Nelson said no unidentified objects have been reported to the police. He could not remember ever hearing of a local UFO sighting, Nelson said."

"But Jeff knows she saw something."

"'It wasn't a star, because it just came right out of the sky. It rotated, and was very bright when it was pointed at us,' Jeff said. 'And we know what an airplane looks like, we know the difference between the lights on a plane.'"

"Reportings of unidentified flying objects are not uncommon. Some UFOs have been reported by prominent scholars. In 1949, Dr. Clyde Tombaugh, the discoverer of the planet Pluto, reported seeing a UFO over Las Cruces; four Air Force officers reported an unidentified flying object over Taos in 1952; and several motorists reported seeing a brightly-lit space craft land in a field near Springer, N.M. in 1996."

"Reports of UFOs can be traced back thousands of years, even to ancient civilizations like Egypt and Babylon."

"Jeff said her husband didn't want her to tell anyone about the unidentified lights. 'I bet a lot of people see things but are afraid to talk about it,' Jeff said, 'It's kind of cool, though. It's exciting. We'll definitely be watching to see if they come back again."

Crownpoint (population 2,630) is just west of New Mexico Highway 371, located about 80 miles (128 kilometers) northwest of Albuquerque. (See the Gallup, N.M. Independent for August 20, 2005, "Crownpoint couple spots UFO twice."

Many thanks to Steve Wilson Sr. and UFOroundup for this newspaper article.


On Monday, August 15, 2005, at 11 p.m., Barry Weitz and his wife were strolling through Bages, a small town 10 kilometers southwest of Narbonne in southern France when they saw a strange light approaching from the Pyrenees.

"Walking from the village square approximately 100 meters, I was with my wife and colleagues," Barry reported, "I had not been drinking as I was driving to and from a restaurant. I saw a moving object in the sky I had been surveying, as I was fascinated by the clarity of the stars, as there is very little light pollution in the area."

"I was so excited I told my wife to look and said to her, 'Look! A shooting star!'"

"However, the object flew in a straight line down the path of the road, completely silent."

"After it had passed, which took about 4 or 5 seconds, I reflected on what I had seen and realised that it could not have been a shooting star. It was not a streak of light, which I had seen on many (previous) occasions."

"I wrote a contemporaneous description when I returned to our home in France."

In his description, Barry wrote that it "was an object not excessively high, estimated at between 3,000 and 8,000 feet, however, difficult to judge without reference points in the sky. It was not illuminated but clearly visible. Travelling fast, smoothly, silently and shaped more oval than round or any other shape that comes to mind."

"I thought perhaps I was seeing a satellite but, again, I have seen satellites in the sky, and they look much higher and are just moving spots of light."

"My wife merely saw it and thought it was what I told her, that it was a shooting star. However, she cannot tell me exactly what she saw, as she had been drinking some wine, and her concentration and recall were somewhat inhibited."

"The object was too dark to identify colour or shape. From my vantage on the ground, if I put a 2-inch finger about 2 feet from my face, the object would have been in this order of relative size in the sky."

Thanks to Joe Trainor, UFO ROUNDUP Volume 10 Number 35, August 31, 2005, for this email form report.


Eyewitness Tim Francis reported, "Yesterday evening (Saturday, August 13, 2005) at approximately 10:30 p.m., there was a series of bright orange moving lights in the sky over my neighbourhood" in Smithleigh, near Plympton, Devon, UK.

"They were moving westward from Smithleigh. Initially it was possible it was lights flying together in some sort of formation. It looked like a star constellation until we spotted the lights moving towards us, and some were too bright and too orange in colour to be stars."

"As the lights got overhead, the formation changed, with one of the lights speeding up a bit faster than the others. No noise could be heard from the objects, although there was road noise from the nearby (motorway) A38, which could have drowned out faint sounds."

"After the first formation had gone, there came several more objects over the next ten minutes. I think there were two occurrences of two lights together and then two single lights after."

"The last object flew over and seemed to be lower than the others. As it got overhead, it seemed like you could make out a rectangular shape, which appeared almost fluid. My friend (there were three of us present--T.F.) said it looked like a jellyfish, I think, because the shape appeared to be changing."

"All of them seemed to have a bright orange light at the front and back, or maybe on top, as you could see the lights when they were coming towards us or going away. But the light was not visible while they were overhead." (Email Form Report)

Thanks to UFO ROUNDUP Volume 10, Number 33, August 17, 2005, Joseph Trainor editor,


Date: 12.08.2005 Time: 01:45 A.M. Place: Riasten, 20 km north east of Ålen

Observer: Bjørn Holden

Bjørn Holden was at his mountain cottage at Riasten, which is located close to the road between Ålen and Tydal. He was asleep when his dog woke him up at 01:45 A.M. The dog was very restless, which is unusual. Bjørn went up and saw a strong ball of light just above the ground, close to the road, just behind a high power cable, towards west. The light was moving towards east, towards him. It had a shape of an egg, and the color was yellow and white, with a green light at the shape. The intensity was very strong, and it was big. Bjørn estimate the size as the size of his cowhouse, which is 15 x 7 meters. The ground beneath it was illuminated. It seemed as the lightrays were mainly directed downwards. The light moved across the house Bjørn was inside. Suddenly he saw an area on the roof, inside, which is illuminating (!). It looks as if the light is coming through the roof, as a ray, 1 m in diameter, pointing downwards. This light from the roof is strong enough to illuminate the room. Bjørn think this was the strangest thing about the whole happening. How can the light go throught the turfed roof ? The lightphenomenon turned towards south, moved to mount Gjervolla. There is turn around and move towards north, on the eastern side of Bjørn and his mountain cottage. The light moved behind the hill Liavollen, which is closest to the mountain cottage, and in front of the hill Melevolden which is behind. The light moved slowly upwards and speeded up. It disappeared behind the mountains in north west. Total observation time was 10 minutes.

Ref. Bjarne Lillevold. Source


On Friday, August 12, 2005, at 12:20 a.m., Emma Whitley was at her home in Westwood, Nottinghamshire, UK when she saw something strange in the sky, approaching from the southwest.

"I was sitting in the living room, and I heard a humming noise," Emma reported, "So I looked out the window to see what it was. All I saw was a triangle-shaped object with three white lights at each point (or corner -- J.T.) and a one red light in the middle, flying slowly over the house."

"So I walked outside to watch and it must've taken at least five minutes to get completely out of range. It could have been a plane, but I've never seen one like this go so slow before." (Email Form Report)

Thanks to UFO ROUNDUP Volume 10, Number 33, August 17, 2005, Joseph Trainor editor,


DUMONT -- It was 7:35 PM, on August 10, 2005, when I was walking out of a shop-rite in NJ. I looked up at the sky as there were absolutely no clouds, and it was quite beautiful. I looked at the moon (which always amazes me when I see it in daylight). As I looked at the moon, I saw a plane flying (probably coming from Newark), and above the plane I saw this white object, I could see that it was not a plane, as it had no wings, and there were other planes flying in the area. They all look dark gray as the sun was setting in the west, and I was following the object as it flew (more like glided) from southwest to east. All of the planes that I was looking at, as I mentioned appeared dark gray and I could see the red and green lights. This object was white and was definitely not a plane or a satellite. After five to ten minutes the object vanished from view heading east towards the Atlantic Ocean."

Thanks to MUFON CMS


On Tuesday, August 9, 2005, "at 7:56 p.m., "two UFOs appeared and suddenly inflated to stars of the first magnitude. They then dimmed equally suddenly. These strange lights were seen over southern Cordoba and the neighbouring town of Ferreyra. Both objects began as what looked like ordinary stars, and they made absolutely no sound. One observer captured two minutes of this particular sighting on video." (Muchas gracias a Ricardo E. D'Angelo para estas noticias.)

Thanks to UFO ROUNDUP Volume 10, Number 33, August 17, 2005, Joseph Trainor editor,


On Monday, August 8, 2005, at 11:42 p.m., "we observed in the sky an object of triangular shape pass across the sky" in Gard, a village near Nimes" in southern France," the witnesses reported, "We were on the terrace looking at the stars. It was beautiful weather, no cloud, the sky was perfectly clear, when suddenly my friend saw a light of an orange colour - the same colour as a sodium lamp - of a rather large size, which came from the west."

"When the object passed overhead, we saw that it was composed of 13 orange lights laid out in an equilateral triangle. The size of the object was about the width of a fist held at the end of an extended arm. The triangle seemed to slip through the sky, no noise at all. It moved in the sky in a straight line from west to east towards (the constellation) Cassiopeia, then swerved as it passed behind the house and where we lost sight of it. The duration was very short, less than 10 minutes. This light in the sky was approximately 50 degrees above the horizon."

Thanks to Joseph Trainor, UFO ROUNDUP Volume 10, Number 36, September 7, 2005.


ONEIDA LAKE – The witness noticed four fighter aircraft doing maneuvers and circling on August 7, 2005: "Way up above them were several dots moving at high speeds, changing speeds and moving strangely. I was in my parent's camp in Sylvan Beach, when I came outside to do some yard work around noon, when four jets streaked by on a clear sunny day without clouds. I could hear the jets and realized they were circling. Before I could see the jets through the trees, I saw three objects flying at 30,000 feet. The jets were spread out seemed to be looking for the objects. The four shiny dots were flying erratically at high speeds, and varying speeds. Some did loops and sharp turns while making their way southeast. After the jets circled for the third time the objects were out of my view and the jets headed north and kept going."

Thanks to


On Saturday, August 6, 2005, from 7 to 7:20 p.m., "observers onshore spotted a luminous UFO hovering the cities and towns of the (Rio Parana) Delta," north of Buenos Aires. Sightings were reported in Tigre, Belen de Escobar, Ibicuy, Zarate and Campana. "The phenomenon was also seen over the Rio de la Plata," east of the city. "Several fireballs of a great intensity flew from the north to the southeast. Seconds later, they hovered over the Rio de la Plata and appeared as lights flashing."

Thanks to UFO ROUNDUP Volume 10, Number 33, August 17, 2005, Joseph Trainor editor,


On Friday, August 5, 2005, at 8 p.m., eyewitness R.M. "was on a rural motorway between Kurow and Omarama in central Otago (region of the) South Island, New Zealand. Me and another witness were driving west through the Southern Alps here in New Zealand when we spotted a singular object in the dark sky. At first we believed this orange object was Mars, but then, at 8:45 p.m., the object began to pulse and flare up."

"This strange orange object looked two to three times larger than any of the other stars. And when it pulsed, it would flare up to a large gleaming orange and then turn so dull it could hardly be seen. Then it would flare up to a bright orange again, even brighter than the moon."

"Each pulse occurred at random intervals between 20 seconds to two minutes" in duration.

"I looked at the object with binoculars," R.M. reported, "believing this must be the space shuttle (Discovery) or a satellite, but these were quickly excused for many reasons, and no other reports had been made of this object."

"There was no approach or departure that I saw, but the object was remarkably high above the Earth."
(Email Form Report)

Thanks to UFO ROUNDUP Volume 10, Number 33, August 17, 2005, Joseph Trainor editor,

Feedback  |  Top  |  Back  |  Forward  |  Map  |  List |  Home

This page was last updated on January 21, 2007